Humans need not Apply - The Future of Automation

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Humans need not Apply - The Future of Automation

Post by EVOXSNES »

Very good video by CPG Grey. I frequently watch his videos. What can i say, very insightful.

My view.
Spoiler: show
I think that we as a species will never evolve because there is no adversity to warrant it. This will leave us entirely dependant on machines/bots in the way they're described in this video.
"A life of ease, of reflection and intellectual challenge"
- Gul Madred
Azami
Captain
Captain
STO Handle: Yaikitsune

Re: Humans need not Apply - The Future of Automation

Post by Azami »

interesting video and it does give some insight on what the future will be like
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Re: Humans need not Apply - The Future of Automation

Post by Warfire »

As an engineer (and a Cybernetician) I fully support most of what he says - however once there are less humans in the market place there will be less money, less money means cheaper workers, cheaper workers means no need for robots so it should be somewhat self regulating.

The biggest danger I can see is this robots replacing skilled people (like me!) rather than professionals as Grey thinks - Lawyers will find ways to make themselves still relevant and Doctors will use machine learning to help them and generate more patients, not replace them. Programmers, Engineers, (software/system/solution) Architects, and the like are the most at risk long term since our jobs will no longer exist if software becomes self programming.

I don't think 50-80% unemployment is likely any time soon but 20-30% is entirely possible.