Australia's Final Ford Falcon

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Australia's Final Ford Falcon

Post by EVOXSNES »

Australia's Car manufacturing industry has had to face a hard reality over the past few years.
High Aussie dollar, less financial incentive from the Government and a new 'Global' model enforced by Parent Company, Ford USA. All spelled the end of an iconic Australian car, the only question was when.

This is the last of, what we call. Falcon XR8. For just a bit over half a Century, the Falcon has been a favourite that is woven into the history of Modern Australia.

Spoiler: show
Ford will continue its presence in Australia. With some localised version of the Ford Taurus and Focus. But they wont be built here, perhaps in South Korea or something...

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford ... zwmxz.html
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Re: Australia's Final Ford Falcon

Post by Warfire »

Always sad to see the end of an era - do you guys still make the Holden Monaro VXR? Awesome car.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Post by EVOXSNES »

Holden isn't as clear cut. They're not the market leader but they're certainly doing better than Ford. So they're situation fluctuates. There was a piece written not long ago that said that Holdens will still be manufactured until 2017.

Regardless, both Ford and Holden have announced their dedication to the Brands and the Engineering teams involved with their design.

There is no current revision of the Monaro but the HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) line is still going strong. This is their new example from the latest series, VF.

Its not bad except on certain angles reminds me of a Mazda.

website - http://www.hsv.com.au/Gen-F/home/au/

Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

That is a very sexy car - and a suitable replacement for the Monaro VXR. I notice he's very excited about it being Australian made - is that a big deal?

Being a Brit I have to be used to not driving a locally made car - they do exist but the range is limited. I drive a Czech car for example.
Bailo
Commodore
Commodore
STO Handle: @Bailo

Post by Bailo »

a friend of mine drives a HSV. Is it the commodore? I'm not really up to date on Aussie brands.
"I have a sheep doing roofing over at my house, come and drop in. We'll put on Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Post by EVOXSNES »

Warfire wrote:That is a very sexy car - and a suitable replacement for the Monaro VXR. I notice he's very excited about it being Australian made - is that a big deal?

Being a Brit I have to be used to not driving a locally made car - they do exist but the range is limited. I drive a Czech car for example.
Ford employ 1,200 people alone. You can only imagine how many are employed by Holden and then Toyota, who are also under pressure to end local manufacturing.

The worry is that these three make up the bulk of (automotive) Manufacturing. So if one leaves. Well its puts upward pressure on costs for the others. Compounding the problem for them.
Bailo wrote:a friend of mine drives a HSV. Is it the commodore? I'm not really up to date on Aussie brands.
Yep. Holden makes the Commodore. In fact, the Commodore is the alternative to the Falcon.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

So cars are sold based on where they are made? This is a somewhat alien concept to me :)

Always sad to see so many jobs go though, it's been tough - even if Australia avoided most of the deep recession. Gotta love some iron ore money.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Post by EVOXSNES »

Warfire wrote:So cars are sold based on where they are made? This is a somewhat alien concept to me :)

Always sad to see so many jobs go though, it's been tough - even if Australia avoided most of the deep recession. Gotta love some iron ore money.
Well you gotta go back nearly 100 years. These are brands which have been with our families for so long that people tend to treat them like footy teams. There was a rivalry between which ones where the best.

Besides, they where Australian made. Which means that its Aussie jobs, for this generation into the next. So there is a like a bleed between aspects associated with these Cars and their Brands, into the everyday life of someone raised in Australia.

Its not as important as it used to be and i think in the last 10 years we've gotten a taste for different brands, so there is less of a fanatical loyalty these days.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

Sounds very much like the American car market. I guess the "travel long distances" thing is very true of Australia too.

All the great (non premium) British brands are long dead, Rover, MG, Morris, Triumph... American owned brands GM, Ford, etc dominated the market through the 40s and 50s until BMC (Austin, Morris, MG, Riley) took some of the share. Then Germany entered - although a small share at first it's now a big chunk.

Japanese cars also have significant share - and in fact some are made here.