Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter

Post by Warfire »

Anyone else thinking of trying this? http://nw.perfectworld.com/

It's another Perfect World game, and the paid off options so far let you "buy" Drizzt Do'Urden for $199.99 (you get to be an exile of Menzobarranzan and have a magic black panther http://lorehound.com/beta-2/neverwinter ... ed-at-200/)!

I think I will try, but haven't been interested in the Beta. I played STO in the Beta and thought it was terrible so I think I'll give it a few weeks/months.
Taylynn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
STO Handle: sto

Re: Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter

Post by Taylynn »

Warfire wrote:Anyone else thinking of trying this? http://nw.perfectworld.com/

It's another Perfect World game, and the paid off options so far let you "buy" Drizzt Do'Urden for $199.99 (you get to be an exile of Menzobarranzan and have a magic black panther http://lorehound.com/beta-2/neverwinter ... ed-at-200/)!

I think I will try, but haven't been interested in the Beta. I played STO in the Beta and thought it was terrible so I think I'll give it a few weeks/months.
I have seen alittle of the expansion but I have not really played DDO since it was released. I could not get out of the first town LMAO. I play it every blue moon but not since abt 2011. Has it gotten better?
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

Neverwinter is a completely different game to Dungeons and Dragons Online - which is a Turbine game like LOTRO.

DDO didn't interest me, although I might give it a try at some point. And sadly Neverwinter is not part of the Neverwinter Nights games but I think it could be fun.
Taylynn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Taylynn »

Hmmm I think I shall take a gander at it. When the post was titles Dungeons & Dragons I was thinking DDO. Srry abt that. Right now I play WoW and ST:TOR
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

No problem, I had the same though when I first heard about it :)

The combat system looks funky, only have a handful of skills and the majority of combat is done hack and slash style. Should be out of beta in the next few weeks I hope!
Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

Post by Kaito »

I'll check it out, I used to roll dice an try peeking behind the dungeon master screen back in the day. I tied the MMO years ago but it was really stiff feeling. Lets check it out.
Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief

Taylynn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Taylynn »

Kaito wrote:I'll check it out, I used to roll dice an try peeking behind the dungeon master screen back in the day. I tied the MMO years ago but it was really stiff feeling. Lets check it out.
I miss the old school D&D and AD&D, rolling like D6's, D20's LOL
Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Kaito »

Cant we just play the old game virtually some how lol?

Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief

Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

I've played a few hours over a couple of days and am about level 14 I think (60 seems to be the cap). I'm impressed, I'm still in the sort of tutorial "hand holding" section even after maybe 6 hours but it's not as bad as WoW because I am in the normal towns, with no restrictions I've seen so far. I am enjoying the story but the voice acting is terrible, with sides of awful. For each well done voice performance there are 10 terrible ones sandwiching the good into easily forgotten paste.

But, as long as you forgive the emphasises being off and awful "English" accents, it's not bad at all and I am enjoying it.

The focus is on combat, you have a series of skills similar to the land STO encounters but even more simple - you get two attacks, 3 "encounter" abilities which have small timers, and 2 "daily" abilities which recharge based on you doing damage, special attacks etc. You get a fairly wide selection of these and can swap your selected skills any time out of a mission area or at campfires in missions which occur about every 15 minutes (in the beginner areas, anyway). There is a robust raiding and skirmish set up but I haven't tried that yet.

Also, Foundry which is implemented even tighter than the STO version. Very nicely done, you have job boards similar to DA:O and NPCs which you can pick up the missions from, or using the UI like STO. I've run one of these and the opportunity for a good story to be told is immense, but people are still learning it.

So far, I'd give it a solid 7/10 for levelling content, end game is still to be explored of course!
Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Kaito »

I did this yesterday for an hour, it does move fast. Very entertaining so far.
Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief