God save the Queen!

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: God save the Queen!

Post by Picard »

Right. If you truly mean this then I guess all I can reply is that I can't help if you have an inferiority complex. I am not trying to be ''better'' than anyone or showing off but if you are convinced of that then it is your problem m8.
Thank you,
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Picard wrote:Right. If you truly mean this then I guess all I can reply is that I can't help if you have an inferiority complex. I am not trying to be ''better'' than anyone or showing off but if you are convinced of that then it is your problem m8.
Me? an inferiority complex? You have such a furtive imagination.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

This is heading no where. I like you Artful and you are a dear friend. Now drink some Whiskey and drown in a sea of pussies.
Thank you,
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Call me Poseidon (pussy-don)
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

You're all over-sexed.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

Or under Whisky'd :)

The Commonwealth is tricky, it's a club more than a political entity. Entrance means respect from fellow members, as all are equal, and the possibility of airing one's views. In the same way this forum gives me (a newbie to FC) the chance to speak on equal footing with Jesse, Picard and other "long time" members the Commonwealth gives smaller countries the opportunity to be heard by influencing Commonwealth opinion.

Like most British value systems the Commonwealth is becoming increasing watered down as time goes on, it is no longer the vocal body it once was (perhaps to avoid loosing further members over disagreements as happened with Zimbabwe) but as an institution for good it is not entirely without merit. It remembers a time when Britain was the dominant power on the planet but it does not exist as a pretend empire. I don't think any Commonwealth citizen feels they are still in an empire.

It is a shame we lost control of so much, but giving individual freedom to the world means more to a modern Briton than controlling the world.
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

This thread certainly unravelled in a way I didn't anticipate. I should be flattered that you guys hang on my every word. Though I do chuckle watching British citizens trying to convince us that they know what commonwealth members want.

When I said "no one wants Charles to be King", I missed out important context because I just assumed it was common knowledge. This context has largely been provided by Picard, who obviously knows me pretty well. But I will add something to this:

Australia has been entertaining the idea of being a Republic for a long time, and this came to a head in 1999. In fact, many Australians wanted a republic at the time, but people couldn't agree on a system. So when the vote came, we retained our constitutional monarchy by a reasonable margin. Even so, a lot of Australians held off voting for a republic because they have great respect and affection for the Queen. If she is no longer our head of state, they will almost certainly support a Republic even though they may not all agree with the form of it. It is pretty widely understood in Australia that after the Queen dies we will vote again on being a Republic. This has nothing to do with Charles. We just don't feel duty-bound to the monarchy system, and would rather choose our own head of state hereafter. i.e., No one wants Charles to be King. Well at least no one in Australia.

As for the rest of the commonwealth, I am sure many other Commonwealth nations have similar thoughts. For instance, if Australia became a republic, New Zealand would likely have their own debate too. One could argue they are the most british of all the former colonies, so there might be some extra resistance. But they often follow Australia's lead, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they became a republic soon after as well.

One thing is certain, after Elizabeth II, the last vestiges of an empire long bereft of world power will start slipping away. So long live the Queen.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

I have no idea about the political or monarchist views of the likes of Australia or anywhere else for that matter. All I know about is my country, in fact I have learned a lot just from reading this topic. It just hasn't been something I have read into.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Be that as it may, the Glorious British Empire still endures.

Shame be to him who thinks evil of it!
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

I am glad that you learned something new Artful and applaud your positive attitude. Shroombuck on the other hand can't hear a thing behind his great big shield of British Imperialism. :lol: Britain had a pretty good run, and its Empire ended with an intact nation and secure borders. The same can't be said for the numerous Empires which met a tragic end. I'd call that a pretty successful run for a small Island nation.