The end of the beginning

Announcements from the Federation Command leadership to the community.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council, Office of Propaganda

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The end of the beginning

Post by Picard »

Greetings friends,

Federation Command has endured under one name or the other for almost 10 years. We might ask ourselves and rightfully so how long can it continue to live on given the current status of the ST community. While it is true that the Star Trek community is not shaping up to be what we expected it to be we must try to keep in mind the following facts:
  • Considering that Star Trek Bridge Commander and SFC3, the last truly successful games were released in 2002;
  • Considering that as of 2005-06 the community truly began experiencing difficulties and it is during that period that most of the fleets began closing down;
  • Considering that in spite of all this and against all odds FC and UFP managed to be one of the most if not the most successful Star Trek gaming organization ever. And this, years AFTER the most popular ST games were released.
  • Considering that Star Trek fans are the most loyal, motivated and dedicated fans on this earth;
  • Considering that not one but TWO JJ. Abrams movies have been filmed and will be released close to one another.
It is my belief that Federation Command will live on until those new movies bring re-renewed interest in the creation of ST games. There will be a lot of money to be made from those games, especially after the market has been left to ‘dry’ for years. You can be certain that those games will not take years to create and that they will be most excellent for few sci-fi shows offer as much quality material to programmers as Star Trek does.

The question remains how do we want to make it through? Do we want to arrive at the finish line out of breath with only a handful of sporadically active officers left or do we choose to re-invent ourselves and evolve into more than the ‘classic’ 1999 Star Trek clan.

The current inactivity crises is nothing if not a challenge, however it will not be the worst one we’ve seen. FC, like UFP has seen worst inactivity crises in the midst of a much grimmer future. As one of the last remaining ST fleet which is fully autonomous and well organized, the challenges we face can also be terrific opportunities. Years of experience mixed with a known name and hundreds of former officers indeed give us a formidable advantage because if there is one constant I have noticed in my 12 years as a Fleet Admiral it is that we can always count on resigned or retired officers to return home. Every few weeks we often find ourselves welcoming back someone we had not seen in years, this reality expands 10 folds when we reform the fleet and reinvent it. While not always easy recruitment is of course also desirable in STO. It is indeed paramount if we want to bring new people into the fleet. Our own history in STO shows us that it is doable.

Granted, the games we hold dear the most are almost ancient. But I have found that the fun of the game comes from who you play it with just as much as it comes from the actual game play. I mean, people still play board games and have fun. I do not want to go into the specifics of how I see FC evolving but I will say one thing about playing old games. As I write this topic I have absolutely no interest in firing up EF or SFC3. But give me 3 or 4 other FC officers who are up to have a few games and I am absolutely up for it. I doubt I am the only one feeling that way and that is where the need for better organization comes into play.

Another facet of the changes we must consider is our purpose on the web. Why only be a gaming organization when we can be so much more. Star Trek is so much more than games; it is first and foremost thousands of hours of movies and series. We need to exploit this reality and become a hub for all ST fans out there. With discipline, organization and the resources we currently have there is nothing standing in the way of success but ourselves.

I have had time to think of many, many ideas that I am eager to share in more detail with you all. We need to start having this discussion about the specifics and how we want to move forward as a fleet. As I said and it is the point of this whole announcement, the feeling of inadequacy, nostalgia and fatality that has been looming in the fleet is unjustifiable.

As Sir Winston Churchill brilliantly said: ''Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.''

Let us embark on a great project together as Star Trek fans first and gaming enthusiasts second.

Thank you,
Thank you,
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The end of the beginning

Post by Shroombuck »

Wonderfully written, Picard. I echo your sentiments.

No survival for our glorious fleet; no survival for all that we have stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the Star Trek community, unless we shall move forward towards our united goal. I take up this task beside my fellow officers with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all officers, and I say:

Come then, let us go forward together with our united strength!
Bailo
Commodore
Commodore
STO Handle: @Bailo

Post by Bailo »

As always, a fantastic speech! I agree wholeheartedly, especially with the comments about the social side of the gaming experience.
"I have a sheep doing roofing over at my house, come and drop in. We'll put on Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Zion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Zion »

There is a path farward for all of us and soon it may be clear. lets hope its not the same as the great journey the covenant so desperatly were seeking.
Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Janeway »

Very well said Picard. Time has shown that this fleet will endure but it is up to us to choose the path that we will forge. We may be considered a relic of the past but it is the past that always influences the future. From experience, I know this fleet will find and forge a great path that a new generation of officers will want to be a part of.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command