Global Moderator access + edit

The hub for all technical issues users incur, such as logging issues or encountering a bug. Please use this forum to report any issues to the Engineering team.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Global Moderator access + edit

Post by Shroombuck »

By order of Picard:

1. Please give Shroombuck Global Moderator access;
2. Please make sure that every Officer can edit his/her own posts at all times.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Global Moderator access + edit

Post by Picard »

Do not give Shroombuck global moderator access,

Please make sure our officers are able to edit their own posts (for obvious reasons)

Thank you everyone.
Thank you,
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Agreed. Picard and I initially agreed to give me Global Moderator access, but we quickly discovered that Global Moderator access has nothing to do with the ability to edit posts. Please disregard that request.

The reason for this is that some forum sections do not allow people to edit their own posts after they have been submitted. The only way to edit your post is to delete it and repost it. This has to change and therefore the request to allow every officer to edit his or her own post at all times has been made.

Also; would it be possible to remove the 'This post has been edited by X' when you edit your post? That looks absolutely obnoxious.

Thanks in advance.
Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Post by Silverado »

R&U, I believe this falls under Mr Exeters jurisdiction as he was charged with full proofing the forums permissions. If he delegates it to engineering ill be more then happy to take a look at the permissions. However hes done most of the recent work and i dont wanna undo any of said work.

Engineering is standing by until ive had a chance to talk to Exeter and formulate a plan of attack.
Resistance
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Resistance »

Shroombuck wrote:The reason for this is that some forum sections do not allow people to edit their own posts after they have been submitted. The only way to edit your post is to delete it and repost it. This has to change and therefore the request to allow every officer to edit his or her own post at all times has been made.

Also; would it be possible to remove the 'This post has been edited by X' when you edit your post? That looks absolutely obnoxious.

Thanks in advance.
In order to fix the "Edit their own posts" item, roles will either (a) need to change globally, or (b) be modified on a case-by-case basis for all user groups in all forums. As it stands, only Founders may modify the permission role sets, which means that Picard, Jesse, TParis, and/or Exeter would need to access/modify the permission roles. If we do it on a forum-by-forum basis, then any admin can do that modification.

As for removing the "This post has been edited by" messages... that feature is inherent in phpBB and its themes. Removing it would require in depth editing of the phpBB themes and core files.
Resistance
Resistance
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Resistance »

As to fixing the "Edit" permissions, Exeter (and maybe myself or another admin) will need to dig into forum-based permissions and find whether a specific permission is set to "yes" in each forum for each group that has access. We have already confirmed the standard access permission roles do contain the edit permission, but not all forums are using the "Standard Access" or "Limited Access" permission role as the item (custom permission roles per forums are able to be set by admins).
Resistance
Exeter
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Exeter »

Can I get specifics please. What forum etc. Global permissions are set properly so I need to dig in and see what is messed up.
// signed //
Admiral Exeter

Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Post by Silverado »

just plain old edit or is there going to be an expiration such as 15 min from the time the post is made.
Exeter
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Exeter »

Every officer has the ability to edit their own post. As there is an issue the specifics help me track it down as the global permissions are set properly.
// signed //
Admiral Exeter

Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Well, I wasn't able to edit my own post after so many minutes anymore.