Login Issues

The hub for all technical issues users incur, such as logging issues or encountering a bug. Please use this forum to report any issues to the Engineering team.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Login Issues

Post by Janeway »

I just wanted to report that I was having login issues. The forum apparently believed I exceded my login attempts, which I assume is set to one, before being asked to fill in the CAPTCHA form (those images are horrible - it took me five times if not more to type in the right response). However, seeing as I hadn't tried to login till a few moments ago, I don't see how this is possible. The password used each time was the same password since I use services such as 1Password and LastPass. Naturally, so was the username. Perhaps an engineer can look into this. I'd rather not have to deal with those horrible CAPTCHA images again or it'll take another five minutes just to login.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
Resistance
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Login Issues

Post by Resistance »

It is possible someone tried to brute-force your login. This has happened to me twice thusfar, however my passcode is secure (and I change it often enough that nobody knows the code except me).
Resistance
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

Yes, Digi is trying everything he can to gain access to our internal forums. He can't get any sleep if he dosen't read it.

So it might have been him.
Thank you,
Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Post by Silverado »

I'll have a look at the logs when i get home.
Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Janeway »

Well that probably explains it. Too bad Digi doesn't quite understand that he'll be sitting there for years (unless he owns a Google server farm) for any truly complex passwords which I assume we are all using in this day of age. Nevertheless, I'll go generate a new password for FC.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
Alexraptor
Admiral
Admiral
STO Handle: @Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Digi gets a cookie if he ever manages to crack mine. :P

60+ digit alpha-numeric with both upper and lower case characters. :lol:
Resistance
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Resistance »

95 char alpha-numeric mixed case, with symbols and numbers, randomly generated every 2 weeks. I don't think he's going to succeed on getting through mine... :P
Resistance
Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Post by Silverado »

Anything more then 15 charectors is overkill and a waste of time considering the threat
Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Janeway »

Ciaran wrote:
Alexraptor wrote:Digi gets a cookie if he ever manages to crack mine. :P

60+ digit alpha-numeric with both upper and lower case characters. :lol:
Alpha-numeric is easy. You should throw in a few symbols, you'd be amazed how much more "secure" your password would be as it's harder to brute force
Yes, the moment you add special characters in addition to the upper and lower case alphanumeric's, it becomes a lot harder to brute force your password without a substantial amount of time and resources that the average users (read: Digi, 99.9% of so called "hackers") will never be able to get their hands on. Of course, this is considering you don't use any dictionary words in the password and whatever mechanism for authentication is also secure.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command