Elite: Dangerous

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Elite: Dangerous

Post by Janeway »

So here we have Elite: Dangerous - a game that for many is a holdover until Star Citizen is release. In of itself it's still a Beta game under development but at least you can fly around space, fight other people, or do general exploring in a galaxy of literally 4 billion+ stars (no seriously, I'm not kidding about this part).

Unlike Star Citizen however, it is limited to singular person ships though some of those vessels can be quite large (larger than most Star Citizen vessels at the moment) but there's no walking around or getting out on a station yet either.

These two games take different approaches but their communities converge which is why I am sharing it with you all. And, if you have a 360 controller you can play the entire game without ever touching the keyboard (with the correct binds of course). Anyways, let's take a look:

Orbiting a Star

Actually, I was Fuel Scooping

To head to my destination...

Jumping into FTL

FTL Approach

That Star's Getting Awfully Close

One More Star on my Route

An Uninhabited World

Requesting Docking

Doesn't this Just Remind You of when Kirk Broke the Speed Limit?

Oh and Yes, there's Factional Warfare

The Many Factions... the Federation Is Quite Corrupt

A Small View of Galactic Control

Of a Large Galaxy that You Can Explore...
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by EVOXSNES »

ED is an alternative but i've already backed my horse.
Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Janeway »

EVOXSNES wrote:ED is an alternative but i've already backed my horse.
Neither have to be mutually exclusive. I backed Star Citizen a few times over - I shared this since the two seem to have communities that overlap. And its actually out. I, like many others, will drop ED for SC when it hits PU Alpha/Beta.

We don't really know when that will be which is why I, like those many others, picked up ED in the first place.

If I am not mistaken it is still the most popular and most purchased game on Steam, at this very moment.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

Janeway wrote:
EVOXSNES wrote:ED is an alternative but i've already backed my horse.
Neither have to be mutually exclusive. I backed Star Citizen a few times over - I shared this since the two seem to have communities that overlap. And its actually out. I, like many others, will drop ED for SC when it hits PU Alpha/Beta.

We don't really know when that will be which is why I, like those many others, picked up ED in the first place.

If I am not mistaken it is still the most popular and most purchased game on Steam, at this very moment.
Oh no, its not that. I'm pretty frugal you see (Its why i have no card atm). If it was free to play, i'd be all over it and unless both games differ in their approach to this genre, i may not. It depends. I'm cautious about it as i think there'd be many aspects where they might be indistinguishable.

Shared community is dubious. I've often thought that since these games heavily rely on the same community input, what you'd see is a lot of similarities. I'd rather both games had separate, healthy communities that won't result in a mass exodus when SC launches (worst case). It all depends on how independent the developers of ED can afford to be.

Elite Dangerous is out. They've had a recent patch adding content and fixing things. No doubt in anyone's mind that for right now it's available to jump into.