Think Tank - Fun Facts

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Hoss
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade
STO Handle: Golemex

Think Tank - Fun Facts

Post by Hoss »

Making you stretch your brains and pull your hair from Cadet to Fleet Admiral... This is The Think Tank!!

Taking a break from the bigger questions of the fleet and getting back to what we love... Staaaaaaa trek!!!!
(Yes I spelled it wrong on purpose)
Although I knew some of these I found others online which you can also find, but the point is to figure it out BEFORE you decide to google it. Take a look and see what you know :)

1. Star Trek TOS broke a boundary that had never been done on television before when performing this scene. It was retaken several times without the controversy added but then added in the last take and then used in the episode making it iconic. What was it?

2. Is a person is the Only person who portrayed himself throughout the franchise, who was it?

3. In the 2009 Star Trek reboot film, Zachary quinto (Spock) couldn't do the Vulcan salute. JJ Abrams did this to get Quinto to do it correctly.

4. Star Trek TOS didn't have the budget to land starships on planets, so this device was used instead.

5. The first movie sequence that used only computers for their sequence was during the genesis device on this movie. The company that did it later became Disney Pixar.

6. This actress who played a regular Star Trek character originally quit after season 1. Before it was known publicly, Martin Luthor King approached her and said "you can't quit, your an inspiration to so many people." Because of the talk with her hero, she resumed her work on Star Trek

7. During season 1 of TNG, male officers had this to show equality in the future, though it was taken out in season 2 and never used again through any series.

Think you know the answers, post em up!!!

One added fact about Hoss, I have a communicator pin from voyager, and often wear it under my shirt onto another shirt when I'm out either in school or work or even just going out. Actually when I go out I just display it, but for the most part I feel like the franchise has such an impact on my life, it's a part of me, and I wear it when I can.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Re: Think Tank - Fun Facts

Post by Warfire »

Without too much thinking I know a few:

1. The first interracial kiss. Originally I believe Nemoy was supposed to do the kiss, but Shatner declared that if there was a world first to be done it was damn well going to be done by him. This is perhaps why Abrams Trek has the relationship the correct way around.

3. Glued his fingers together!

4. Teleporter! This same reason (budget) was also used in Blake's Seven with the wrist bands, and countless other cheap Sci Fi.

6. Nichelle Nichols - Uhura. A strong female Black leader was so rare on US TV at the time that Luthor King felt her presence was doing a lot to advance the equality movement.

I don't know the others, I'd be interested to hear the answers :) I'd guess that 2. is Nimoy? But honestly I don't remember him being in Voyager or Enterprise (nor DS9?), unless I've misunderstood the question of course.

I used to wear a cheap copy TNG comm badge under my clothes too, up until I was about 18 I guess? I didn't take it to University anyway. I feel I went into engineering because of the influence of Data and La Forge and of course I grew a magnificent beard because of Riker.