A place for visitors to drop by and say hello.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

Instant messaging services were for many years the glue which held the trek community together. While our forums have their own facebook-style integrated chat facility, I don't think it's a suitable replacement for fleet communications. For one, it only works when you're on the website. Seldom is anyone actually on the forums enough for this to allow overlapping communications. For another, it just doesn't have the spit-and-polish of a proper chat program.

Facebook and skype are not good alternatives either. They are all integrated with our personal lives, and to be honest clanning and real life deserve to be separated. For those who use teamspeak or other such programs, they are good... but again, they lack the always-on ability of instant messaging. Also verbal chat requires a commitment in time and energy many simply do not have. As a result, instant messaging was always the bread and butter of communications, and I think it should be again.

Once upon a time the majority of the community used MSN Messenger. Unfortunately, this program is no longer maintained by Microsoft. But before then, many in the community used ICQ. I recently thought it would be interesting to see if my old account worked - so I logged in. Lots of names populated the list, names preserved from the community of 10 years ago. All were offline, no surprises there. But the ICQ client seems to me to be every bit as capable as the old MSN Messenger client, and can be downloaded for free from the ICQ website.

I reckon you should check it out. Feel free to add me. My ICQ # is 136107187.
Alexraptor
Admiral
Admiral
STO Handle: @Alexraptor

Re: ICQ

Post by Alexraptor »

Honestly amazes me.
ICQ was the first ever chat system I used when I first joined the Star Trek gaming community. :)

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

I dont use it anymore, but if people start using it again I will. Btw The fleet wanted to use stream so installed it but id much rather use ICQ. However as of a few weeks back our official messaging system is stream, by one vote over skype.
Thank you,
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

If someone PMs me a picture of some excellent breasts I will sign up for a number.
Alexraptor
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Alexraptor »

Picard wrote:#104269107
I dont use it anymore, but if people start using it again I will. Btw The fleet wanted to use stream so installed it but id much rather use ICQ. However as of a few weeks back our official messaging system is stream, by one vote over skype.
Personally would have preferred ICQ a hundredfold over any other, but Steam was the lesser of two evils, as I very very strongly dislike Skype.
Plus that I already use it for personal IRL contacts and smartphone messaging.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

maybe the poll should be remade?
Alexraptor
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Alexraptor »

Not sure it would really accomplish much, as ICQ was on the poll and only recieved 1 vote.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Evo sent me a PM with some decent breasts. I now have ICQ.

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

I reinstalled and looked you up Jesse. I think you might need a username update.
Spoiler: show
Thank you,
Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

Post by Kaito »

Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief