Vanguard Command: The Final Stretch

Announcements from the Federation Command leadership to the community.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council, Office of Propaganda

Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Vanguard Command: The Final Stretch

Post by Janeway »

The Final Stretch
If you had asked me a few days ago if I intended to update the rest of Federation Command on the status of Vanguard Command it would have been a resounding "no." Ask Shroombuck or Costello, I was fed up with the whining and complaining by the majority of Federation Command's officers because in truth Federation Command doesn't have the right to know - you have the desire to know. Worse yet, is each and every time I have to update Federation Command is a day wasted because I have limited time to contribute to Phoenix - or as you know it as: Vanguard Command.

However, since we are entering the final stretch on the road to Vanguard Command it is actually time for an update. Know this however: there will be no pictures - it will be a long wall of text. So come a long for the ride, it's time to be updated!

Preparing for the Transition

I start every update this way but that should stress how important it is. Make sure your email is up to date! You will not be able to login to Vanguard Command without resetting your password on the Vanguard Command forums! I know that's a bit of a pain but unfortunately this is a limitation of the database import system.

Similarly, during the first few days of Vanguard Command you may not have the correct "Rank" or "Wings" displayed by your username. Before you ask: yes, we are using those. They used to trivial and never used but now the wings are decorative and mean something. Wear them with pride as they discern which echelon you belong to - a testament to how much you've contributed to this community.

Steam

Steam is a great way to connect with other users of Federation Command. It became the defacto communications platform since it's not outdated like ICQ and not too personal like Skype. I bet we all miss the days of MSN Messenger now don't we?

In any case, Vanguard Command is directly intertwined with Steam thanks to Steam Connect. When you sign in to Vanguard Command (or simply link your Vanguard Command account) with Steam you get a Steam Card displayed in your user profile next to every post which allows other users to interact with you and see what you are doing on Steam. This creates a connected community.

If you don't have Steam it's very easy to create an account (though you'll need to spend at least $5 USD to remove account limitations). Get Steam at http://steampowered.com.

Don't forget, there's the official Steam app available from iTunes and the Google Play Store. It uses very little battery power and you'll get notifications directly on your devices:

iOS Devices: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steam-m ... 69748?mt=8
Android Devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .community

In addition, once you are on Steam it is very important that you join the official Vanguard Command Steam Group. To do that, simply visit http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vanguardcommand and join. Someone who has the ability to post news stories on the Federation Command Steam Group needs to make story informing users to move to Vanguard Command's Steam Group (Costello, I am looking at you).

Star Citizen: The Dawn of a New Era

Much like the importance of Steam to the Vanguard Command community, Star Citizen is no less important. This is our flagship title. Yes, we have other games and we will expand but there is no doubt that Star Citizen represents our primary focus. Some of you may have doubts about it but once you play it you will be convinced. I would best describe it as Bridge Commander meets Elite Force meets modern graphics.

At the moment, Arena Commander and the Tutorial (which is actually quite fun) are available as well the ability to walk around your own hanger. However, to be serious about Star Citizen we must show a serious present. At the moment there are a stunning three members in the Star Citizen Organization: EVOXSNES, Warfire, and myself. That's not a presence.

So, visit the Star Citizen store over at https://robertsspaceindustries.com and pledge to a ship of your choice. I believe the cheapest option is $45. It might not be the best ship but it will get you started. Or spend a little more if you'd like so you're ready for the Public Universe at the end of this year. No matter what you decide: you're always able to fly an F7C-Hornet in Arena Commander if you can't afford a ship higher than the Aurora.

Once you have pledged visit our Star Citizen Organization and join: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/VANGUARDCM

Positions and Vanguard Command

Some have come to me in private and asked me whether or not they will retain their positions when we become Vanguard Command. The short answer: yes. The long answer: we need people who are willing to embrace the future and put in a spectacular amount of effort to make Vanguard Command a force to be reckoned with. That may mean some shuffling will occur.

In addition, something I'm wholeheartedly for: trimming down "departments" into "offices" which is something Costello is debating at the moment. This will occur during the position review prior to launch.

In Recognition of Those Who Go Above & Beyond

I wanted to take a moment and point out some of the great things people here at Federation Command are currently doing in preparation for the move. We have Silverado who has reached out into a mobile game entitled Vega Conflict. 23 members and counting. Now we have to get them active in other aspects of VC come launch.

Kelbie asked me if we were going to reach out into other platforms like Playstation 4. In response I told him that Vanguard Command's primary focus is PC gaming but unlike the limited Federation Command, if there's significant interest: we will pursue it. Unfortunately, unlike Xbox One, Playstation 4 has no real way to track people or interact with them.

Personally, I've associated our Steam Group with Elite: Dangerous ($49.99 - very easy game to pick up; playable with an Xbox 360 controller 100% with the right key binds) because Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen's gaming population tends to overlap. It is also an Alpha game but it is more complete than Star Citizen is at the moment.

Even Wargame's World of Warship will become a central focus when it goes live later this year.

From Space to Ground - Navy to Marine; Vanguard Command will find its way in a new era across many games.

Those We Leave Behind...

It's been a hard road, there's no doubt about that. Vanguard Command perhaps had the most appropriate codename: Project Phoenix. A Phoenix that will arise from the ashes but while this task may be difficult it is not insurmountable. You may see old names returning in the coming weeks. You'll see new names popping up but the only way to survive is if we all contribute come launch.

We've left people behind. Officers who once had great spark left us because FC was going no where. There hasn't been an Oath in months. It's true, we have left things behind but we have done so to look towards the future; to look towards Vanguard Command.

Be All My Sins Remember'd

We are shedding our Trek image and with that a fresh start will begin for all of us. This doesn't happen very often and whatever you decide will be set in stone. You may find out more here: http://fedcommand.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4192.

Choose wisely. Your previous identities will be saved into the Vanguard Command Wiki as a testament to the identities you once built.

As for Federation Command itself? While we will be taking all of its content with us the site and the forums will be archived for historical purposes similarly to the original FC, FEDS, and UFP. Each historical era will also be featured on the Vanguard Command Wiki.

To a New Tomorrow

The next time I update Federation Command on Vanguard Command it will likely be the very last thread ever created on the Federation Command board. June 18th is the official launch date. Whether we open it up sooner depends on how quickly we can get through the final sprint of development. At the moment: we are on target for June 18th and not before.

What will happen during the transition?
  • The Federation Command forum and Vanguard Command forum will be taken offline at 12am (Eastern);
  • Technological Magic will be Preformed to transfer the database to Vanguard Command;
  • A Landing Page Will be Placed on Federation Command similar to the one that is now found on the United Federation of Planets;
  • Vanguard Command will come online [mostly functional];
  • You will receive a mass email that will likely be written by Costello or I;
  • You will sign in to Vanguard Command for the first time (after using the "forgot password" feature) and enter a new era.
This will be the final update until the launch of Vanguard Command.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: Vanguard Command: The Final Stretch

Post by EVOXSNES »

C'mon you cheap bastards. Pledge! ;P
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Thank you for a comprehensive update.

Although less visually appetising this is probably the most valuable to date. The road to Vanguard is pathed with a blend of uncertainty and excitement.

We have talented and enthusiastic people, we have an advanced infrastructure and crucially, we have games that are going to provide the recruitment and gameplay potential we hunger for.

Our Wordpress site will serve as a blogging platform as well as a marketing funnel. Content-rich representing the diversity we have to offer.

Please heed Janeway's instructions. She has been the technical lead for our forum implementation and backend and has volunteered much of her time to deliver these previews and preparatory reports for the next generation of our community.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

I do so much want a glorious signature template. I wonder what our new logo will be as well.

Any updates on that from our design-team?
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Shroombuck wrote:I do so much want a glorious signature template. I wonder what our new logo will be as well.

Any updates on that from our design-team?
Logo finalised. I commissioned Carbonizer for it.

You can see a compressed version here: (Steam Group)

Ranks in-progress (custom set) and I will be working on a new signature template.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Costello wrote:Logo finalised. I commissioned Carbonizer for it.

Looks sweet so far, but it does need some more tweaking in order to make it glorious.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Shroombuck wrote:
Costello wrote:Logo finalised. I commissioned Carbonizer for it.

Looks sweet so far, but it does need some more tweaking in order to make it glorious.
That's because you are staring at a compressed 184 x 184 dire state of a version.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Show us the candy.