EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?

Post by EVOXSNES »

Janeway wrote:
EVOXSNES wrote:
Proof? Aside from relying on the consistent information given to us from various teams within CIG, track record of Chris Roberts himself, weekly video updates from developers, conventions and im sure much much more?

$500,000 worth of ships sold in a matter of days (200 Destroyers) is a good sign. Your fellow Saudi Arabian oil barons snapped those Destroyers up fast as lighting. Perhaps you're just a little upset you didn't get there fast enough ;)

What is a Carrier worth anyway. $4.5 billion for a Nimitz...$4,000 in Star Citizen... $40 in EVE? You get what you pay for.
See, here's the thing: "Chris Roberts" means nothing to me. I have no idea who this person is. I see his name thrown around a lot about this game but I have no clue who he is. His name carries no weight with me. You're talking to a person that in reality knows very little about games - aside from the fact that people want me to play with them and I can buy them from Steam, Origin, UPlay, the Playstation Network Store, the Xbox Store, the Windows Store, or from Amazon and a few retail stores.

Oh, and that I have a stupidly overpowered computer that can pretty much play any game but that's not what I bought it for - it's a glorified media server hooked up to a 27" monitor and a Wireless HDMI transceiver that connects to a projector. I also know how to turn an Xbox One on and watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and many other apps. So... not exactly a gaming expert.

I'm not interested in that destroyer. Only two ships have peaked my curiosity. A $350 exploration ship and that green and grey ship they always show launching multiple fighters that has that huge bridge which I don't believe they have ever sold.

Though I do find their reasoning for why only 200 ships were sold rather flimsy at best because not everyone and their grandmother is going to fly the largest ship they can get their hands on. Some people like it small, some people like it big, and some people like it in the middle. So far they are just serving the small with a few middle. Their largest capital ship is a frigate so far. A frigate.

Why would I want a Nimitz-class when I can get that next generation US Carrier for a few billion more anyways? Unfortunately, SC doesn't have a diverse set of ships: just fighters, several [small] transports, and three capital ships that are still relatively small.

Get me a carrier or something bigger than a ~200 meter destroyer and don't sell in on a holiday where normal people are spending time with family and friends and I'll be happy :have_a_nice_day: .
Success is success. Games, Movies, Supermarkets... it doesn't matter. I think you'd benefit from doing some research into Chris Roberts. If only to know his story.
Exeter
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Exeter »

Chris Roberts aka Wing Commander, his other games were a bust. He tried to create a game development studio before called Digital Anvil, with one title that was released 4 years or so late (Starlancer)

So his history is so so, maybe worth investing a few hundred, not thousands.

He seems to be loaded with ideas, but terrible follow through.

i did some research and obtained Starlancer, Wing Commander I use to play. Two successes, but both very late.

Get Starlancer to check it out, it is now legally free
http://download.cnet.com/StarLancer/300 ... 45358.html
// signed //
Admiral Exeter

Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Janeway »

Exeter wrote:Chris Roberts aka Wing Commander, his other games were a bust. He tried to create a game development studio before called Digital Anvil, with one title that was released 4 years or so late (Starlancer)

i did some research and obtained Starlancer, Wing Commander I use to play. Two successes, but both very late.

Well that doesn't inspire confidence.

Given his track record, I will wait until the game is actually more than the pipe dream that it is right now.

Or if a ship peaks my interest that is no greater than $500. Clearly not a company or person that is worth investing anymore in considering the track record.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

"Wing Commander became a best seller and caused the development of competing space combat games, such as LucasArts' X-Wing.[8] It was very well received by critics. Dragon gave Wing Commander six stars, out of a five-star system,[9] the Secret Missions Expansion Disk receiving five stars.[10] Computer Gaming World in 1990 described the game as a "stellar warfare adventure in every sense of the word"
Janeway wrote:
Exeter wrote:Chris Roberts aka Wing Commander, his other games were a bust. He tried to create a game development studio before called Digital Anvil, with one title that was released 4 years or so late (Starlancer)

Given his track record, I will wait until the game is actually more than the pipe dream that it is right now.

Or if a ship peaks my interest that is no greater than $500. Clearly not a company or person that is worth investing anymore in considering the track record.
Wasn't a Success? Track Record? You're both wrong.

It doesn't matter at this point as the proof is in the pudding. We're privy to development, consistent progress. We're not used to it and so some people can be impatient and even reactionary but this game will come out.

I've made my bet.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Janeway wrote:

Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

I like Chris Roberts (although his WHERE IS IT FROM accent frightens me) and it's true that not all of his games have been a commercial success but Star Citizen is already a commercial success before it's even released. He has wonderful ideas, and the little bit of Star Citizen I've played shows the game is already worth ~$10. Therefore I took a plunge and spent $45 taking a risk balanced approach to it.

The biggest thing to watch is that by buying an expensive ship you are not investing in the traditional sense, since you get no return - just the intangibles promised by that pledge. We don't all become shareholders, we don't share in the returns - we just share the risk. I see crowd funding as essentially an advance pre order, where you get to beta (usually) and influence the end result - usually you also get a discount price. Take Minecraft for example, I think the alpha buyers paid less than half the final retail. I was a beta buyer so I paid around 3/5 of the final price I think. Star Citizen is using a model similar to Planetary Annihilation - where you paid MORE the earlier you bought because you have more "influence" - and similar to other Kickstarter games where you get some item with limited intrinsic value.

I admire those with enough confidence (and cash) to buy the $100 plus tiers, you will get an excellent ship and probably have more fun faster than I will - but you have taken on more risk.

I'm annoyed at myself for not buying in Alpha, those guys definitely got the best deal. I will be paying $5 a module for the next two years probably which I could have avoided. But, the risk is less now - we have an actual game! If glitchy animations and dogfighting is a game anyway :)