Getting Star Citizen: Relatively Cheap

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Getting Star Citizen: Relatively Cheap

Post by EVOXSNES »

When people look at prices for Star Citizen they're turned off immediately. High prices are to fund development because this game is still in crowdfunding - As there seems to be a demand for a higher level of fidelity, immersion and depth.

But Star Citizen isnt about the $100+ Ships. In fact, for access to the Alpha Module (Arena Commander) which allows you to fly around, shoot bots, other players and Race (if you have a racing ship) The Complete Single player game, Squadron 42 (2015) and access to the Star Citizen Universe (2016) as well as a ship - The Aurora MR.

Take a look and watch some videos. See if this game is really something you can get into. If it is, i'll most likely see you there.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... er-Starter

Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Getting Star Citizen: Cheap

Post by Costello »

EVOXSNES wrote:When people look at prices for Star Citizen they're turned off immediately.
Judging from my own investigating, the game necessitates a complete PC upgrade if I were to play it.

That's one of those hidden costs. Effectively I am priced out of playing the game.
Kelbie
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @Charlie25

Post by Kelbie »

Costello wrote:
EVOXSNES wrote:When people look at prices for Star Citizen they're turned off immediately.
Judging from my own investigating, the game necessitates a complete PC upgrade if I were to play it.

That's one of those hidden costs. Effectively I am priced out of playing the game.
You'll need a 700 or higher GFX (4GB) + more than 8GB to run the game and Intel I7. That's what Robert said anyway.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Kelbie wrote:
Costello wrote:

You'll need a 700 or higher GFX (4GB) + more than 8GB to run the game and Intel I7. That's what Robert said anyway.
That's right.

It's a shame, Star Citizen has a lot of promise. Were I in a position to justify upgrading my PC, I would most definitely prefer to use that money for another purpose. It's a catch-22.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Post by EVOXSNES »

Im glad you've brought this up. Arena Commander is a work in progress and is unoptimised. A mountain of improvements will be implemented in the lead up to release. :D

But for now the Community has made a handy point of reference for hardware. This is by no means representative of the end game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

EVOXSNES wrote:Im glad you've brought this up. Arena Commander is a work in progress and is unoptimised. A mountain of improvements will be implemented in the lead up to release. :D

But for now the Community has made a handy point of reference for hardware. This is by no means representative of the end game.

Useful spreadsheet. However, I have an i3, GTX 550 and 4GB RAM.

I need an entirely new machine!
Kelbie
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @Charlie25

Post by Kelbie »

Costello wrote:
EVOXSNES wrote:Im glad you've brought this up. Arena Commander is a work in progress and is unoptimised. A mountain of improvements will be implemented in the lead up to release. :D

Most games nowadays need to have I5-7 with 6-8GB now. And you'll need a card that has either a 3GB or 4GB. Kinda shit, but that's the way games are going now.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Post by EVOXSNES »

Kelbie wrote:
Costello wrote:

Most games nowadays need to have I5-7 with 6-8GB now. And you'll need a card that has either a 3GB or 4GB. Kinda shit, but that's the way games are going now.
Not if then but when. Depending on your flavour, your game could be 2 years away.
Merlin
Crewman
Crewman

Re: Getting Star Citizen: Relatively Cheap

Post by Merlin »

Im building a new pc to play this gtx 760 and fx6300
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Re: Getting Star Citizen: Relatively Cheap

Post by EVOXSNES »