Total War: Warhammer

Discuss other games with other officers of the fleet.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Total War: Warhammer

Post by EVOXSNES »

Yes. The Creative Assembly has announced its new title using Games Workshops fictional universe. Warhammer. But enough talk! Cinematic Trailer.

Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Re: Total War: Warhammer

Post by Warfire »

I watched the very first teaser trailer of this at EGX Rezzed a while back - the crowd seemed very confused. I can't actually see why this is a good idea - but I don't like Warhammer I guess :)
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Post by EVOXSNES »

Warfire wrote:I watched the very first teaser trailer of this at EGX Rezzed a while back - the crowd seemed very confused. I can't actually see why this is a good idea - but I don't like Warhammer I guess :)
I suppose you have to ask. What can Total War do next?. I'm sure there's more out there but something different and completely fictional is refreshing for the series i think. Working with different material outside of their comfort zone could be good for the team and any future title from CA in regards to Total War could benefit from this experiment.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

It's an unfortunate trend in games companies to "sequel to death" rather than developing a new franchise and this feels like a danger sign.

Total War: Attila feels fresh without pushing the boundaries and that's fine - it's like a new COD, new story but same old fun. Warhammer however.. I can't see what the motivation is. I can see that Warhammer as a series involves the movement of lots of pieces around - sounds like Total War - with a campaign of multiple battles over a period of time - again, sounds like Total War - but such a branch away from historical fiction to fantasy will surely alienate the core Total War fanbase and the (I assume) lack of Warhammer complexity will alienate the core Warhammer fans. Who is this game for?
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander

Post by EVOXSNES »

Warfire wrote:It's an unfortunate trend in games companies to "sequel to death" rather than developing a new franchise and this feels like a danger sign.

Total War: Attila feels fresh without pushing the boundaries and that's fine - it's like a new COD, new story but same old fun. Warhammer however.. I can't see what the motivation is. I can see that Warhammer as a series involves the movement of lots of pieces around - sounds like Total War - with a campaign of multiple battles over a period of time - again, sounds like Total War - but such a branch away from historical fiction to fantasy will surely alienate the core Total War fanbase and the (I assume) lack of Warhammer complexity will alienate the core Warhammer fans. Who is this game for?

Total War series has languished somewhat. CA has had great success with Aliens Isolation and now it seems an entry into this Warhammer fiction could give another shot in the arm for the developer. Assuming its goes well. In any case, i see the delve into Warhammer as a possible precursor to a Medieval Total War title from CA. Something to cut their teeth on perhaps.

This Total War has attracted a lot of attention. No other video on the Total War channel comes close to the number of views that this little cinematic trailer has managed.

Who is the game for? Everyone i hope.